Upper School HISTORY & Middle School MATH AND SCIENCE TEACHER
available August 2022
Belle Meade School, a small, independent school, located on a working farm in Rappahannock County, Virginia, seeks a full-time upper school (Grades 6-12) teacher to teach History at high school and middle school levels, and middle school math and science classes. The successful applicant possesses intellectual depth and curiosity, enthusiasm and patience, innovative teaching skills, a strong work ethic, and a demonstrated ability to orchestrate outdoor and experiential learning activities. The candidate will be responsible to create an academic environment that motivates students of different skill levels to engage in student-centered learning. This person will join a collaborative team of educators and families in an innovative and mutually-respectful learning environment.
- College or post graduate degree in at least one content area.
- Experience creating and sustaining student-centered experiential learning opportunities with an emphasis on real-world applications.
- Intrinsic motivation to maintain high standards and present instruction in a creative and inspiring fashion.
- Content area technological skills.
- Ability to provide individualized, developmentally-appropriate assessments of students’ classwork, assignments and projects.
- Willingness to teach multiple grade levels.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must enjoy working with middle school and teenage students.
- Exude boundless enthusiasm for time outdoors, day and night, in all weather.
- Some overnight travel and camping required.
Preference given to applicants:
- With outdoor (camping, canoeing, gardening, hiking, and/or livestock management) knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- With a sense of humor and boundless energy.
- Build an engaging, interactive, and respectful classroom (and school) environment.
- Create lessons, assignments, and learning opportunities aligned with the curriculum for multiple subjects/classes.
- Incorporate technology-based resources to enhance student learning.
- Guide students in a supportive manner, sensitive to individual learning styles, with appropriate boundaries, while promoting academic excellence.
- Partner closely with other staff to coordinate instructional programs and school activities, including: academics, electives, farm work, and campouts.
- Collaborate with staff on a daily basis as part of an innovative, supportive, and accomplished team.
Salary: Commensurate with experience