UPPER SCHOOL MATH AND SCIENCE TEACHER
Belle Meade School, a small, independent school, located on a working farm in Rappahannock County, Virginia, seeks a full-time upper school (Grades 6-12) mathematics and science teacher. The successful applicant possesses intellectual depth and curiosity, enthusiasm and patience, innovative teaching skills, a strong work ethic, and a demonstrated ability to orchestrate outdoor and experiential learning activities. The candidate will be responsible to create an academic environment that motivates students of different skill levels to engage in student-centered learning. This person will join a collaborative team of educators and families in an innovative and mutually-respectful learning environment.
- College or post graduate degree in at least one content area.
- Experience creating and sustaining student-centered experiential learning opportunities with an emphasis on real-world applications.
- Intrinsic motivation to maintain high standards and present instruction in a creative and inspiring fashion.
- Content area technological skills.
- Ability to provide individualized, developmentally-appropriate assessments of students’ classwork, assignments and projects.
- Willingness to teach multiple grade levels.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Enjoy working with teenage students.
- Enthusiasm for time outdoors, day and night, in all weather.
Preference given to applicants:
- With outdoor (camping, canoeing, gardening, hiking, and/or livestock management) knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- With a sense of humor and boundless energy.
- Build an engaging, interactive, and respectful classroom (and school) environment.
- Create lessons, assignments, and learning opportunities aligned with the curriculum for multiple subjects/classes.
- Incorporate technology-based resources to enhance student learning.
- Guide students in a supportive manner, sensitive to individual learning styles, with appropriate boundaries, while promoting academic excellence.
- Partner closely with other staff to coordinate instructional programs and school activities, including: electives, farm work, and campouts.
- Collaborate with staff on a daily basis as part of an innovative, supportive, and accomplished team.
Salary: Commensurate with experience